Friday, June 27

Adoption Updates

I just have a couple of updates on the adoption. Up until now, we have been in the infant program hoping to adopt a baby. Initially, we also wanted to explore another program where children are legally free, and ready to be adopted. The only aspect that was difficult at the time when we were deciding which program to pursue, was that our hearts were set on adopting an infant. Typically, when you adopt a child who is legally free, they are already around two years old. We decided to wait for six months to see if anything happened in the infant program before pursuing the legally free route.

As we passed the six month mark on the infant waiting list, we started praying about looking into the legally free program. I had expected to feel somewhat reluctant to adopt an older child (between 1-2), because of the desire to parent an infant. The more I thought about this possibility, however, my reluctance was replaced by an eagerness to expand our parameters to include children who are already waiting for a good home. I was also reminded that if we would have adopted a child internationally, the children would not be infants, rather they would be in the same age range.

So, to summarize the most recent updates, we have decided to continue pursuing a domestic adoption, and we are still going to have our profile shown to birth parents in the infant program. Things are moving along very slowly. Our agency sent us a letter with an update on their current status. They are facing numerous staff changes, resulting in a slow response to adoptive families as new staff members are getting adjusted. We are looking forward to meeting the little person that God has planned all along to be a part of our family. We would ask for your continued prayers for the birth parents, their families, and for the child that we will welcome into our family.

No comments:

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!