Wednesday, December 31

Needless Regrets

As we are at the end of 2008, many people will start this year with resolutions of how the upcoming one will be different. I have never been one to set yearly goals, but I do like to reflect on ways that I can improve and change for the better. Sometimes it is easy for me to focus too much on past mistakes and to dwell on things I can't change. The following quote challenges me to think about God's character and grace in proportion to my life and the choices I have made, whether good or bad.

A sermon preached by John Henry Jowett entitled “Needless Regrets” says

“Even supposing we have made mistakes and we would dearly like to have the choice back again that we might take the other turning, what then? Who is our God? What are His name and His character?

Can He not knit up the raveled bit of work, and in His own infinitely gracious way make it whole again? It is the very gospel of His grace that He can repair the things that are broken. He can reset the joints of the bruised reed. He can restore the broken heart. He can deal with the broken vow.

And if He can do all this, can He not deal with our mistakes? Will not His infinite love, as we ask, correct our mistakes and make the crooked straight?”

These words are very profound to me as I seek to know more of God. My hope for myself and for you in this new year is that you will know God in the way that Paul describes in the book of Ephesians.

Ephesians 3:16-18. “I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is."

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!