Sunday, January 18

Bits and Pieces

Last night I hosted a small group for other women like myself who would like to experience motherhood, yet have faced obstacles in their journey. I enjoyed getting to know these women with whom I felt an instant bond. I was intrigued at how our stories were each so different, and yet there was a common thread of loss each of us could relate to.

It was refreshing to hear others say they understood and to know that they really did.

After everyone left, I read through some verses from Psalm 31 that describe the way I have felt over the years. Verse 7 was the first to catch my attention. It reads, “I will be glad and rejoice in your unfailing love, for you have seen my troubles, and you care about the anguish of my soul.”

In verse 12b of chapter 31, David writes, “I have become like broken pottery.” This analogy is one I can relate to during the many social events with friends as one of the few or only couples without children. The struggle to find an identity outside of that brokenness can be somewhat challenging at times. Logically, I know I am not defective or any less of a person, and yet it is tempting to feel otherwise.

Fortunately, this Psalm does not end with David feeling like a cracked pot. In verse 19, David writes, “How great is the goodness you have stored up for those who fear you. You lavish it on those who come to you for protection, blessing them before the watching world. You hide them in the shelter of your presence.”

Through the use of such imagery, David depicts what we can experience in the midst of pain and even anguish. His love for God and confidence that He is good despite his feelings are encouraging as I learn to wait on God for his perfect plan to unfold.

No comments:

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!