Wednesday, May 27

Italy trip

I am just now starting to feel normal again after my trip to Italy. My brother Alan and I went back to see the places where we lived over twenty years ago as a family.

On one hand, I was struck by the way I have romanticized the life we had life in Italy over the years, forgetting there were aspects that were not perfect, and yet there were things about the culture that I very much want to incorporate into my way of life. For example, I relish the time spent at the table enjoying meals and really connecting with people. I appreciate the attention that went into beauty and art regardless of what was being displayed. The sights were beautiful, looking outside of windows, down alley ways, peering through glass windows filled with pastries and desserts too beautiful to eat. I savored the experience of being able to appreciate things that were once part of my everyday life. I enjoyed hearing Italian everywhere we went, and attempting to guess what people were saying from a distance as they carried on entire conversations through hand gestures.

Some of the highlights for us were visiting friends from language study, touring the factory where Deruta pottery is made, and for me, traveling to a conference in Ortona where I met other translators from all over. I rode to the conference with an American friend I met who lives in Tuscany. We managed to get lost on our way to Ortona. Under normal circumstances, I might have been frustrated, however I had the chance to see some of the most exquisite scenery I have ever seen on the way to our destination. Each wrong turn was another little city, or a beautiful lake I would not have seen otherwise.

I have been wanting to take this trip for many years, and it was an amazing opportunity to reconnect to a place from my past. Now I am settling back into life waiting to see what unfolds. Part of my reason for going to this conference was to decide whether or not I was ready to pursue a career in translation. I love the idea of using my Italian and working from home. I will be able to make more decisions about future plans once I have gotten more rest. For now, I am happy to be home with Brent and the cats. I feel so blessed to be where I am right now, and eagerly anticipate what God has in store in the days ahead.

1 comment:

Lipi said...

Hi,

Good to know about your Italy trip. A nice read indeed. :)

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!