Saturday, January 9

Entertaining mom's way


Sometimes I am tempted to think that the goal of entertaining is to impress people with elaborate food and intricate decorations, and while I thoroughly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes, if my friends leave feeling like I was too wrapped up in all of  the details to enjoy being with them, I have completely missed the point.  

When I was nine years old, someone stole our car.  When the policemen came to file the report, I expected my mom and dad to send them on their way quickly to find it.  Instead, my mom invited them in for a leisurely breakfast.  We enjoyed our time, and there was not a frantic feeling wondering if and when they would find our car.  The house was inviting, with the smell of freshly brewed coffee.    

My mom didn't prepare anything elaborate that day.  She simply made eggs and toast with coffee.  The thing that stood out in my mind was her example of hospitality and kindness.  She didn't have to take the time to cook anything at all, but she chose to do so, and they accepted. On the other hand, she could have fussed over them because of their status in the community, trying to put together a gourmet brunch, but she focused on making them feel comfortable.    

This was one of the earliest examples of true entertaining for me, and it was at that time I aspired to follow her example. Recently, I have been thinking about special friendships, and  have started keeping a journal of people I have enjoyed hosting in my home, along with some of the food I have made, because for me, finding just the right recipe adds even more  enjoyment to these interactions.  I  decided to start recording some of these times into my blog.    

My mom probably had no idea at the time how closely I was watching her example, and what a pivotal experience this was for me.  I will always be grateful for the role she has played in my life.               


2 comments:

MommaMindy said...

I love the intimate look into your mom's home and heart. Thank you for sharing. What a great example to us all.

Brent and Darlene said...

Thank you, Mindy!

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!