Friday, July 16

Summer Salads

Brent and I have made a new friend. His name is Audi, and he is the fruit expert at one of our local markets. Audi is not what you would consider your average fruit vendor. No, he is exceptional, and not only does he love his job, but he has a passion for fruit! When we go to this market, Brent enjoys asking his opinion about various fruits, because he responds with great enthusiasm, and he lets us sample whatever we ask about.

Last night we went to Central Market, and had to stand in line, because Audi was consulting several people, and we had to wait before we could ask our questions. When our turn came, he sliced off a piece of a delicious, juicy plum and handed it to us.

Based on his recommendation, we bought three juicy melons, and two mangos. Audi assured us that they would be good, and he was right. The mangos took me back to my childhood in Haiti when we could pick them right off the tree in our front yard.

Today, I found the perfect recipe to take advantage of these perfect mangos in the form of a refreshing summer salad. My friend Renee gave me a book of just salads by Williams Sonoma, and this one is called "Chicken, Avocado, and Mango Salad." We just finished it up, and it was delicious.

I changed a few things about the recipe, but this is probably one of the best salads I have ever had.

In addition to the chicken, avocado and mango, the salad had cilantro, lime juice, and a few slices of red onion to add color and texture. The flavors were so varied, and it made for the perfect light salad for a summer day.

No comments:

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!