Thursday, August 26

A New Page

Since our adoption process has been very slow, I have been looking for something to really pour myself into. Growing up, I moved around every two to three years, and spent quite a bit of time overseas. I always imagined I would end up in a third world country doing missions work.

For the last twelve years, however, I have only lived in Washington and California. I have settled into a comfortable lifestyle,and the prospect of moving is very slim. I am incredibly thankful for everything, and yet there is a part of me that is growing restless. I want to clarify that when I say restless, I don't mean unhappy, as I am quite content. I don't want to complain about where I am.

Sometimes the voices inside my head persist like the nagging drip of a faucet."Why don't you do more?" they ask. Since I am not a mother, and currently don't work a full time job, I am tempted to ask what right I have to take up space on the planet. That is just what I hear on the really bad days.

I had an opportunity to travel to Africa in May, but due to health reasons, I was not able to go. For some time, I have been disappointed that I had to forgo the trip, and wondered if I would be able to travel long distances again. I have envied so many friends who have been able to go to Haiti, take trips to Africa, and who have made a difference in other countries.

Recently it dawned on me that I don't have to go to another country to make a difference. My sister in law works with people who are in the margins of society, who are in jail, need to find work, and who need someone to care for and encourage them. She does all of this in Washington. I categorize Amy with the likes of Mother Theresa when it comes to people who are naturally compassionate and loving.

Through examples like Amy, and other friends, I became aware that while issues of homelessness sadden me, I have not been active in helping. I always thought it was easier to be sad about it than to do anything to help with the solution, until now.

One of Brent's former co-workers has had a huge impact on my desire to volunteer. I asked him for suggestions about where to go, and he immediately directed me to a woman at Fare Start. (www.farestart.org). I have volunteered once in their kitchen, and was so impressed by their work. I hope to start volunteering more in the near future.

I know that my worth is not dependent on what I do, but at the same time, there is so much to be done, and if everyone thinks helping out is too overwhelming, nothing will ever get done. I hope to write about some of my experiences volunteering once I start.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your heart and what you're doing! You have so much love to share....I pray God will use you in mighty ways!!
: ) Kim

Darlene said...

Thank you, Kim :)

Anonymous said...

I have another friend who volunteers at Fare Start so let me know if you want me to connect you guys. You write from the heart..I love it! And...you have more impact then you realize 'on this planet', and are more than deserving of the 'space you take up'...just ask any one of your friends:) ~ Ciao ciao~ Kim

Darlene said...

Grazie, cara!

I would love for you to email me your friend's name. I will see if my friend knows him or her.


Thank you for taking time to read my entry! I need your blog address, too!

baci,
Darlene

Rachel Schober said...

Thank you for sharing. It is a struggle to accept that Messiah is our Lord, Lover, and Source of identity. Press on in finding all He has in mind for you.

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!