Friday, December 10

What a week it has been...

Tonight I am sitting in my quiet living room, feet up on the coffee table, looking around at everything I have to be thankful for. I love looking at the Christmas tree lights reflecting off of every window and glass door. The cats just came down from their nesting places, and are now fastidiously licking their little paws. The younger one (Bella) is about to jump up on my keyboard to "help" me with this entry. I don't have the heart to shoo her away.

Earlier today, my brother had a lens implant in his left eye. I was able to spend the day with my sister in law while he was in surgery. I am thankful to say that the surgery was successful, and so far he is doing great. I enjoyed spending time with my family today, even though it was under somewhat stressful conditions.

Yesterday, we celebrated Brent's 40th Birthday. The day was pretty low key, and it ended with a sweet call from my nieces. They put the phone on speaker, and sang Happy Birthday to him. Afterwards, Anna who is 13, told her uncle Brent that she had been reading the Proverbs earlier that day, and she read one that reminded her of him. There was a pause as we eagerly waited to hear which one. She told him that Proverbs 16:31 reminded her of him..."Gray hair is a crown of splendor. It is attained by a righteous life." She said that her paraphrase would substitute the word "awesome" for righteous. I am thrilled that my nieces are reading the Proverbs. I have read them since I was a teenager, and there are so many words of wisdom for any age.

While I am thankful for many things, I also have difficulty enjoying the Holidays. I am actually doing everything I can to be intentional about finding joy in the weeks surrounding Christmas. As I sit and write my list, it really does help to ease the anxiety of Brent's recent layoff, crowded shopping malls, and other things that would get me down.

I have been working with some delightful seniors over the past couple of weeks, and have enjoyed listening to their stories. I have much to learn from them, and look forward to getting to know them better.

Well, it is time to unplug the tree and call it a night.

4 comments:

MommaMindy said...

Thankful to hear all is well in your corner of the world. Your writing gave me such a vision of peace and joy in your home. Missed you at NCWA, were you there, or did we just not touch base? May the Lord bless your holiday celebrations with friends and family.

Darlene said...

Hi Mindy,
Thank you for your comment! I actually had to miss the last NCWA because we lead a small group that night. We will be in Florida for January's meeting, but I will make it a priority to be there in February! I don't like missing it so many times. Looking forward to seeing you in the new year. Blessings to you and your family as well during the holidays!
Darlene

Kortney said...

Darlene, praying this holiday season has some wonderful memories for your family!

Darlene said...

Thank you, Kortney!

Same to you- Will I see you Monday?

:) Darlene

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!