Thursday, February 24

Catching up

Here I am again, at the beginning of an entry after several weeks have passed. I wish I wouldn't allow so much time to pass between posts, but a lot has happened.

The most significant thing this month was the loss of my Aunt Connie. She was a very special person, and we had a deep connection. I can't stop thinking about her and my Uncle who is now missing her so much. I was blessed to be at her funeral, and to spend some time with my family.

My Aunt and I corresponded for many years, and I always admired her creativity. Her cards and letters always had little red hearts on them.

My Aunt made everything by hand. She was a gifted seamstress, painter, and she made much of her own furniture. She and my Uncle were always working on projects together. My Uncle has a hobby working with trains, and he made individual buildings to go with the trains. They have so much detail in them. I couldn't believe how beautiful they were when he showed them to me.

My time at the funeral gave me such a deep appreciation for my family, Brent's family, supportive friends, and so many other things.

A few days after I came home from the funeral, Brent found a job, so that was very exciting. He has been enjoying it, and I have continued to work as well. I have been doing more medical interpreting. My plan is to go back to school to get my certification in translation and interpreting. Classes start in April. Needless to say, we have been in constant transition.

I miss having time to write, but hopefully that will come. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers about Brent's job!

4 comments:

Kortney said...

Praise for Brent's job! I also am glad your trip to Florida to celebrate your aunt's life went well.

MommaMindy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved aunt. Loss is never easy, there is always an emptiness in your life that only seeing them again in eternity will fill. Thankful for the job! The Lord is good to His people.

Lisa said...

I am just seeing this as I stopped by to check for updates...I am so sorry for your loss- she must have been a special person. Hugs friend.

Darlene said...

Thank you, Lisa--

I will have an update soon. I appreciate you checking in!
Hugs to you, too!

Darlene

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!