Sunday, October 2

Filling in the gaps

We started our adoption back in 2007 with a private agency. I have written about this experience as well as the times where we were really close to adopting throughout this blog. When we were just about to give up on this experience all together, that is when the miracle happened.

It all started one night when we got together with a group of friends from church. We had been facilitating a group of newlyweds twice a month. As we were going around and catching up on life, we talked about how we were thinking of giving up on adoption and continuing life with just the two of us, as the constant ups and downs really made us wonder if we were meant to be parents.

When we shared this with the group, our friend Lisa told us that she was on Facebook earlier that day, and one of her friends from elementary school posted that she was pregnant, and wanting to place the baby for adoption. Lisa asked us if we wanted to get in touch with her.

I was open to meeting with the couple, but I thought they would have been inundated with phone calls from other hopeful adoptive parents, so I kept my defenses up, while Brent immediately asked for their contact information.

The following day, we called and arranged to meet the next week for dinner. We met at a restaurant, and ended up talking for three hours until the people at the restaurant kicked us out. We felt like we clicked from the beginning. Half way through our dinner the stork (to honor their anonymity, we are referring to them as storks :)) handed us an envelope with the first ultrasound picture along with a 3x5 card that read "here is the first picture of your baby. We look forward to getting to know you better in the future."

For the first time that night, I was rendered speechless. The rest of our time was a blur, but all I could think about was how good God is, and how much I loved this couple already.

Since then, we have been in touch, and have gone to the doctor's appointments. I mentioned in a previous blog that we went to the ultrasound, and the four of us sat in and found out that the baby was a boy. We were so excited!

A couple of surprises during the last several months were receiving a Mother's Day card from them, as well as a Father's Day card for Brent...

I will write more soon, but for now, I need to feed Justin :)

2 comments:

MommaMindy said...

He is absolutely adorable! I am so very thankful for the way the Lord has blessed you. I look forward to watching you grow up as a Mother as you raise Justin.

Darlene said...

Thank you, Mindy!

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!