Wednesday, February 22

New Direction

Since the original reason for my blog has been realized with Justin's arrival, I have wondered what I would continue to write about. I decided to write about verses in the Bible that have stood out to me over the years, as well as new ones I have read recently. Here is a good one that I just read today.

Psalm 30:11-12

"You changed my sorrow into dancing, you took away my clothing of sadness, and clothed me in happiness. I will sing to you and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise you forever."


I have a good friend who is a dancer, and whenever she dances, she exudes such joy and beauty. As she dances, she looks like she doesn't have a care in the world, like she is "clothed in happiness."

I, on the other hand, suffer from depression, and am not a great dancer, especially this time of year when the weather is cold and rainy. It is a struggle for me to be active, let alone dance or sing. I admire people who have these talents, and meanwhile, I look to God and ask Him why life can be so hard.

These verses stood out for me because I have known times during my life when I felt "clothed in happiness," but all too often, I have felt the opposite, and have felt so far from God. That is where I am right now, but I want to meditate on these words this week as I live out my life from day to day.

The second part of this verse talks about singing and not being silent, and praising God forever. Sometimes worship is challenging on the dark days, but during those times, it is even more important to praise. Martin Luther said "when you find it hard to pray, pray hard."

In my previous post, I touched on the verse that talks about how God has taught infants and children how to praise him. I think as children, it is more natural to praise God and to believe in him. As adults, it is easy to be more cynical. When my husband sings to our baby, he smiles and laughs, and it is so beautiful to watch. To me it is sacred and beautiful to watch them interacting in this way.

May your days and weeks be filled with happiness, and if that seems out of reach, I pray that God would make it a reality in your life.

No comments:

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!