Wednesday, February 15

Life is good


I have taken a long break from blogging since I became a mother, and have really missed it.

I have still been learning about not comparing my life with other people. There were times when I envied people with kids so deeply that I couldn't enjoy what was going on in the present. I was angry at God and the world.

The crazy thing about human nature is now that I have a baby, I compare myself with other women my age with active careers, without kids, and I wonder if I should have pursued more of a career when I had the time. I have been trying to think of what else I will do. I feel I need a title, that somehow being a Mother is not enough. This thought is short lived, however, because when I look at Justin, hold him, feed him and take care of him, I am gently reminded that this is what I have waited for not only during the time we have been trying to adopt, but my whole life. Maybe a career will be out there someday, but for now, this is my passion, and parenting is what I love.

Psalm 8:2a says "You have taught children and infants to worship." When I look into Justin's eyes as he laughs and smiles, I see evidence that he is worshiping in the purest sense of the word.

I am so in love with this baby! I never knew just how rewarding parenting would be. Thanks to all of you who have prayed for us to have a child.

2 comments:

MommaMindy said...

I loved hearing how blessed and complete your life now feels.

You are learning to beware of Satan's oldest trick. Convincing single women they should be married, married women they should be single, moms they should have a career.

Good for you for not listening to that voice of discontent. I praise the Lord you're loving and embracing your role of Mother, the most important job you'll ever have!

The verse you shared from the Psalms inspired me anew in my parenting. That's what it is all about!

Darlene said...

Thank you, Mindy! You are such an encouragement. I appreciate you reading my blog even when I haven't posted anything for months! I hope all is well. I am going to read up on your blog now. :)

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!