Wednesday, June 13

Tonight I kind of stumbled on a milestone by accident. Like so many others, it took me completely by surprise. It seems like everyday Justin is learning something new. I have been so amazed watching him grow, and have been delighted by everything he seems to learn so effortlessly. Tonight I thought I would just try to see if he was ready to feed himself, still thinking that would be the farthest thing from his mind. I thought he appreciated the way I carefully scooped every little bite into his mouth, immediately wiping his tiny little chin before any food had the chance to drop and make a mess. Who wouldn't, right? So, tonight I offered him the spoon with a generous amount of food, thinking he would just look at me and wait for me to take the spoon back to feed him as I had since the time I started giving him solids. Instead, before I had a chance to take the spoon from him, he grabbed it like it was his most prized possession, and with each spoonful continued to shovel it into his mouth, on his cheeks, or anywhere else he could smear his sweet potatoes. This was such a welcomed surprise, but I have to say that with my need to have things neat and tidy, it took everything I had not to want to hose him with water with each delicious bite. I think he will thoroughly enjoy this step towards independence, and I will have to give up my need to constantly clean up his messes. I haven't been a parent that long, but I think this is just one example of something I will have to learn as Justin gets older. My maternal instincts cause me to want to jump in and do everything for my son instead of letting him learn on his own. One of the most remarkable things I have observed about being a mom is that Justin won't be the only one learning. I have been stretched to learn so much during these months, and look forward to every new stage of our lives.

No comments:

Maui

Maui
flower

Memories

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!