Ingredients

Tuesday, October 24

It Takes A Village

They say it takes a village to raise a child, but I think there are many things that concept applies to, as well.  Getting healthy is one of those things. Not long ago, I met a couple of friends who have helped keep me on track, especially after binges like I described in my last post. Those don't really happen that often, but, when they do, I can always count on my friends Kristen and Sherry to steer me back in the right direction.

My friend Kristen loves the outdoors, and is always up for a walk, or hike. So, today we took a beautiful three mile walk around a lake that is close to my house. The leaves were stunning, as they reflected off of the water, and the air was crisp.

My friend Sherry loves nutrition and fitness, so, she is like my cheerleader when it comes to eating right, and the benefits.  One thing Sherry does that I love is monthly salad parties.  All you  have to do is sign up to bring one or two salad ingredients, along with four large mason jars for your salads. Other people do the same, and if you have several people contributing, you leave with four beautiful salads for the next several days.

















The dressing (always homemade), goes in the bottom. Next, you layer something that will not get soggy, like red cabbage, and afterwards,you add the rest of the ingredients of your choosing.  It is always fun to see what people will bring that you would have never thought to put in your salad at home. I love combinations like quinoa, apples, celery, sesame seeds, chick peas, and other yummy ingredients.  The main thing you have to remember is to leave room for some greens at the top It is wonderful to just have to make a main course, and have your salad already made. You just pour your jar upside down, ad the yummy dressing makes it's way to the top, and coats the other ingredients in the process!




No comments:

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!