Ingredients

Tuesday, October 10

Sticky fig pudding with salted caramel and coconut topping

I intended to write a post yesterday, however,  Monday is my work day, and from the time I got up until the time I get my son to bed, I couldn't think of anything except for laying my head down on my pillow, and falling into a deep, peaceful sleep. And, that is exactly what I did.


On Mondays, I get to have some paid training on being a personal chef.  For four hours, I help a friend who is a professional caterer and personal chef prepare meals for her clients that she cooks for. I can't believe I actually get paid to do it! What a thing of beauty. 

She has six clients, so we prepare their meals for the next several days that they are able to refrigerate, and freeze.  The day is packed full of chopping, cooking things on the stove top, getting things in the oven, and then assembling and labeling meals to deliver. 

There are so many logistics, as to the right timing, and doing things the proper way. Since I have never cooked professionally, many things are new to me. I am so used to taking my time in my kitchen where I know where everything is, and not being on any tight schedules. I am still learning the rules of safety in the kitchen, when it comes to using knives properly, and proper food handling. I just passed my test for my food permit last week, however, there is still so much to learn!

Already, in the last week, I have cut two of my fingers with the blades of professional grade knives, burned the skin on the top of my hand in a hotter than usual oven, and ripped half of one of my fingernails off, trying to open a container. And, we're off to a great start!!

At this point, you may be asking what the title of this post has to do with absolutely anything I have written so far. I promise, I am almost there...just wanted to give you some background into my crazy Mondays! Well, yesterday, I got to make this amazing dessert from a cookbook called Sweet, and it was one of the most delicious desserts I think I have ever had! If you like apples and figs, they are in this moist delicious "pudding," with a caramelized topping of shredded coconut, brown sugar and butter. Heaven on a plate, as far as I'm concerned! 

I have an event to cook for on Sunday, so I think I will make these little gems!  


No comments:

Italy trip

I have been going through my pictures, and have enjoyed looking at this album of Italy. I was able to go over last year to attend a conference. This was the first time I have been back in twenty years. The pictures are made up mostly of places we lived as a family. My brother and I were able to go together, and we were graciously hosted by some friends of ours from language school in Perugia. I feel such a sense of nostalgia when I look at these pictures. I miss Italy so much. It was strange to go back as a tourist knowing I would be returning to the US after such a short time. Tonight I made cookies with Nutella in them, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the simple pleasures. Fortunately, you can find it here! Saturday, we are going up to my brother's house to celebrate a late Thanksgiving, only we will be making homemade tortellini instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!